4.22.2010

simple simplicity.

It was a gorgeous day. The kind that is steeped in half thunderstorms and half sleepy sunshine. There's something lovely about walking in the midst of a storm knowing it will only last 10 minutes and that by the time you leave the bookshop you've ducked into, you'll emerge to find a cleaner, brighter place.

I wandered around Brooklyn today. A first for me. I don't find myself in Brooklyn unless I'm there for a specific person, place or event, but today B-town and I chilled. I popped in and out of vintage stores and book shops. I spent far too long in Beacon's Closet, and not long enough in " Catbird NYC " ( a gorgeous little jewelry shop.) They have pint-sized, feminine, delicate pieces that would drive me into a severe financial crisis and so I desisted. There I was, walking around beautiful twenty-somethings, that were a little dirty and under-dressed extremely well. There is, what I will call, a ' Bohemian Irony ' to Williamsburg; an understated luxury to the independent craft stores, record shops, and book dives that all at once make you feel as though you are in your element and out of your tax bracket.

ALSO, I went to The Highline for the first time. It was beautiful in a way that I wasn't expecting. Architecturally, I think there was a symbiosis between environment and industrial material that I found surprising.


Seeing all of these wild grasses, daffodils, and thistles sprouting up inbetween concrete and iron seemed to speak very much to our present dilemma: responsible co-existence with our sensitive earth given our huge human impositions. There were really pretty views of the river and the west-side skyline. I cozied up to an oversized bench, quietly took in the darkening clouds that seemed to have followed me from Williamsburg, and listened to some of t h i s . His lyrics are poetry, his voice is hard and passionate, and he has a cleft chin. What more could you possibly ask for?




My most recent discovery, if you can't already tell, is how to turn text into a link.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey friend, so glad you stopped by! Drop me a line...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...