5.01.2010

New York City summer seems to be upon us and from here, I can see the next five months sprawling open like a book; closed windows and frigid air-conditioned rooms, humid breezes and stifling heat, mint chocolate chip ice cream cones ravished and devoured, tanning on rooftops, and lazy evening walks. It is from a place of sincere optimism, that I look forward to spending the next few months in town.

I will finally get to see the the 4th of July fireworks from my roof, take a bike ride around Governor's Island, see movies in Bryant Park, and go to museums for a dose of art and cool...

There's a 'summer drift', the kind of lull that hits the frenzy of the city, that I long for. These days, life seems to have reached a fever pitch of practical responsibility, emotional tailspins, and work obligations that, quite frankly, make me want to flee to some remote island in the Caribbean. For now, it seems that I and New York's 8.3 million people will have to stay put and sweat it out together. Maybe we'll all make it to a beach and find some time to douse our troubles in a wave or two.



ADDENDUM: The other night on my walk home from work, I sauntered into McNally Jackson's for a bit of cheap and easy escapism. I browsed through the travel section, the 'new fiction' stand and the memoir shelves. Found some books I'm excited about picking up. If you have a copy of any of these, I will dedicate an entire posting to you and your generous spirit, if you let me borrow them.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey friend, so glad you stopped by! Drop me a line...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...